Smoke detectors save lives. Many people may be lulled into a false sense of security thinking they have smoke detectors in their home. Smoke detectors that are not installed or maintained properly are not safe. Here are a few tips on what you need to know about buying, installing, and maintaining your smoke detectors:
What should I buy?
The National Burn Institute recommends only buying smoke alarms tested by Underwriters Laboratories (UL). You will also want to make sure the smoke detector has a battery backup. Smoke detectors that don’t work in a power outage are no good. Consider buying a combination smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector, they may be more expensive, but well worth the money.
There are two main types of smoke alarms, which are categorized by the type of smoke detection sensor used in the alarm. They are ionization and photoelectric.
Ionization smoke detectors
Ionization detectors respond quickly to flaming fires with smaller combustion particles. They contain a chamber with two plates that generate a small, continuous electric current. When smoke enters the ionization chamber, the smoke particles disrupt the current flow, which triggers the alarm.
Photoelectric smoke detectors
Photoelectric detectors respond more quickly to smoldering fires. They use a light beam and light receptor. When smoke is present between the light and receptor, the photocell sensor triggers the alarm.
Combination smoke detectors
The best smoke alarms can sense both types of fires (flaming and smoldering). For the highest degree of safety and preparedness, there are combination smoke alarms also that combine ionization and photoelectric detectors into one unit, called dual sensor smoke alarms.
Check with your local fire department to see what kind of detector they recommend.
Installation and Maintenance
Smoke detectors should be installed on each floor, outside of every bedroom and sleeping area and near any air vents. Detectors should also be installed high on walls or on ceilings because smoke rises. Avoid installing detectors near windows, doors or where there are openings where smoke can escape.
Check with your local fire department for specific regulations on the placement of detectors.
Smoke detectors have a lifespan of about seven to 10 years, and it’s important to replace old detectors according to the model’s recommendations. Test your alarm’s batteries monthly and remember to replace all batteries at least once a year. Clean and vacuum the grill of your detector to get rid of dust and debris. Other maintenance includes a monthly testing of the alarm and cleaning with a vacuum hose about once every month.
Featured Property Slideshow
Medway ListingMedway, MA - $229,000 - Condo - Half-Duplex - Rooms:8 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/110 hours agoMedway, MA - $345,500 - Commercial - Year Built:1940 - Acres:0.6614 hours agoMedway, MA - $249,900 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:115 hours agoMedway, MA - $375,000 - Commercial - Year Built:1988 - Acres:0.24
Franklin ListingsFranklin, MA - $199,000 - Condo - Townhouse - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:1/11 hour agoFranklin, MA - $410,000 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:9 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/14 hours agoFranklin, MA - $334,900 - Condo - Detached, Townhouse - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/14 hours agoFranklin, MA - $389,900 - Single-Family - Colonial, Victorian, Antique - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:313 hours ago
Milford ListingsMilford, MA - $1,800 - Rentals - - Rooms:7 - Beds:4 - Baths:24 hours agoMilford, MA - $278,800 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/14 hours agoMilford, MA - $439,900 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:8 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/18 hours agoMilford, MA - $1,650 - Rentals - - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:1/19 hours ago
- Milford Man Arrested on Warrant From Sudbury June 18, 2013A Milford man wanted in connection with a crime from Sudbury was arrested the afternoon of June 14 in Medway. […]
- Update from the MetroWest Anti-Casino Coalition June 15, 2013Watch the HCAM News interview with Chairman Brian Herr of the MetroWest Anti-Casino Coalition to learn the latest news on the coalition's activities and plans. […]
- Flooding reported along the Charles River June 15, 2013According to Nation Weather Service Meteorologist Charlie Foley, there is minor flooding along the Charles River in Dover and Medway, as well as the South Natick/Wellesley line. […]
- 'Ben Speaks' Will Be at Blake Middle School on Friday June 13, 2013After her son Ben took his own life in 2009 at age 18, his mother Judy Giovangelo of Medway, set out to help teens deal with the hardships of growing up without resorting to reckless behavior. […]
- Milford Man Arrested on Warrant From Sudbury June 18, 2013
- The future of dry cleaning comes to Franklin, MA. June 19, 2013HANOVER, MAa Lapels Dry Cleaning, an innovative, environmentally friendly dry cleaning company headquartered in Hanover, Massachusetts, recently opened a new location on June 8 at 456 West Central Street in Franklin, MA. […]
- Gouverneur resident makes dean's list at Dean College June 13, 2013Gouverneur resident Elizabeth Miles made the dean's list at Dean College in Franklin, Mass. […]
- Areal Flood Watch June 13, 2013FLOOD WATCH NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA 957 PM EDT WED JUN 12 2013 ...HEAVY RAIN IS ANTICIPATED FROM LATE THURSDAY INTO FRIDAY WHICH MAY RESULT IN RENEWED FLOODING ACROSS PORTIONS OF SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND... .LOW PRESSURE WILL SLIDE SOUTH OF SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND THURSDAY NIGHT INTO FRIDAY. […]
- Woonsocket man struck by car, killed June 12, 2013Police said 56-year-old Danvirgil Zamfir was struck by a car being driven by Sarah Chandler, of Franklin, Mass. […]
- The future of dry cleaning comes to Franklin, MA. June 19, 2013
- 5 Things You Need to Know Today: June 18 June 19, 2013Our weekday morning column, 5 Things You Need to Know, provides you with information that can help you plan your day and give you some fodder for water cooler conversations . […]
- Milford Selectmen Question Process for Reviewing Casino June 19, 2013Milford selectmen expressed disappointment Monday in aspects of the process for reviewing the Foxwoods Massachusetts casino application, particularly chairman William Buckley, who said he was not aware that the town's consultants would not be conducting their own studies of impacts including traffic and water consumption. […]
- Milford Man Charged in Assault Outside 7-Eleven June 19, 2013A Milford resident is charged with aggravated assault and battery, after police say he beat another man who tried to damage a vehicle that he was sitting in, in the parking lot of the 7-Eleven convenience store. […]
- Fight ends in Assault Charges, Tasing for a Marlborough Man June 18, 2013Milford Police used Tasers on two people outside the Turtle Tavern early Saturday, after officers said the men moved aggressively toward them after officers broke up a fight. […]
- 5 Things You Need to Know Today: June 18 June 19, 2013