Rates are low, home prices are still low and the thermometer is heating up. If you are dreaming of a vacation home; right now there are some great deals for buyers looking for a second home. Money Magazine offers some tips on what you need to know before you take the leap on a second home.
1. Now is a good time to pounce
In many second-home hot spots, prices are still close to their five-year lows. According to Fiserv, single-home prices in Napa, Calif., for example, are down 47% from their 2006 peak; the average house in Ocean City, N.J., costs 24% less than it did in 2006. And though a few hard-hit markets like Las Vegas, Tucson, and Miami could fall a bit further, most economists believe the biggest declines are behind us.
Meanwhile, sales in places such as Myrtle Beach, S.C., and Palm Beach saw double-digit increases last year. “Now prices are starting to move up,” says Myrtle Beach broker Rod Smith.
2. A home is a better deal if it’s rentable
You may think you’ll keep the retreat all to yourself, but it’s still smart to shop as if you’re going to rent the place out. That’s because a home’s rental potential can affect its resale value, says Fredericksburg, Texas, agent Catherine Jeffrey.
Before you bid on a house, make sure the homeowners association or township allows short-term rentals (many do not). And keep in mind that renters prefer homes with at least one bathroom for every bedroom, says Jeffrey.
3. Don’t count on rental income to pay your bills
The typical property rents out just 17 weeks a year, says Christine Karpinski of vacation-rental site HomeAway.com. Plus, you’ll need to pay for cleaning, maintenance, insurance, and maybe management fees (at least 15% of income).
Sales of doomsday bunkers up 1,000%
To get a handle on a property’s income potential, ask a management company for a history of rental dates and rates for homes comparable to the one you’re considering. If your monthly loan payment is less than or equal to one peak week of rent, you’re likely to break even, says Karpinski.
4. Your loan rate depends on how you use the house
Lenders have raised standards across the board, but they’re giving extra scrutiny to vacation homes. Use the property primarily as a second home and you’ll pay about the same mortgage rate as you would on a primary residence, says HSH Associates vice president Keith Gumbinger. If you need rental income to qualify for the loan, however, the house is treated as investment property — so you’ll have to fork over as much as 25% for the down payment and pay up to one percentage point more in interest.
5. Tax benefits can be sweet
Rent the house out for two weeks or less and you won’t have to report a cent of income to the IRS — and you can still deduct property taxes and mortgage interest.
Stay there for less than two weeks or 10% of rental days, whichever is greater, and you can deduct operating costs — everything from cleaning fees and maintenance to linens and repairs — in addition to interest and property tax. Use and rent a lot? You’ll have to allocate the write-offs between personal and rental use, which gets tricky, says Rick Shapiro, a CPA in West Hartford, Conn. So talk to your tax guy before you buy.
Featured Property Slideshow
Franklin ListingsFranklin, MA - $489,900 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:8 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/133 minutes agoFranklin, MA - $549,900 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:10 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/13 hours agoFranklin, MA - $400,000 - Single-Family - Colonial, Victorian - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/1Franklin, MA - $17 - Commercial - Year Built:2006 - Acres:0
Milford ListingsMilford, MA - $279,500 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:8 - Beds:4 - Baths:1/143 minutes agoMilford, MA - $269,000 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:6 - Beds:2 - Baths:11 hour agoMilford, MA - $379,000 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:8 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/113 hours agoMilford, MA - $273,000 - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:1/1
- Milford Man Arrested on Warrant From Sudbury June 18, 2013A Milford man wanted in connection with a crime from Sudbury was arrested the afternoon of June 14 in Medway. […]
- Update from the MetroWest Anti-Casino Coalition June 15, 2013Watch the HCAM News interview with Chairman Brian Herr of the MetroWest Anti-Casino Coalition to learn the latest news on the coalition's activities and plans. […]
- Flooding reported along the Charles River June 15, 2013According to Nation Weather Service Meteorologist Charlie Foley, there is minor flooding along the Charles River in Dover and Medway, as well as the South Natick/Wellesley line. […]
- 'Ben Speaks' Will Be at Blake Middle School on Friday June 13, 2013After her son Ben took his own life in 2009 at age 18, his mother Judy Giovangelo of Medway, set out to help teens deal with the hardships of growing up without resorting to reckless behavior. […]
- Milford Man Arrested on Warrant From Sudbury June 18, 2013
- The future of dry cleaning comes to Franklin, MA. June 19, 2013HANOVER, MAa Lapels Dry Cleaning, an innovative, environmentally friendly dry cleaning company headquartered in Hanover, Massachusetts, recently opened a new location on June 8 at 456 West Central Street in Franklin, MA. […]
- Gouverneur resident makes dean's list at Dean College June 13, 2013Gouverneur resident Elizabeth Miles made the dean's list at Dean College in Franklin, Mass. […]
- Areal Flood Watch June 13, 2013FLOOD WATCH NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA 957 PM EDT WED JUN 12 2013 ...HEAVY RAIN IS ANTICIPATED FROM LATE THURSDAY INTO FRIDAY WHICH MAY RESULT IN RENEWED FLOODING ACROSS PORTIONS OF SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND... .LOW PRESSURE WILL SLIDE SOUTH OF SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND THURSDAY NIGHT INTO FRIDAY. […]
- Woonsocket man struck by car, killed June 12, 2013Police said 56-year-old Danvirgil Zamfir was struck by a car being driven by Sarah Chandler, of Franklin, Mass. […]
- The future of dry cleaning comes to Franklin, MA. June 19, 2013
- Fight ends in Assault Charges, Tasing for a Marlborough Man June 18, 2013Milford Police used Tasers on two people outside the Turtle Tavern early Saturday, after officers said the men moved aggressively toward them after officers broke up a fight. […]
- Lightning strike ignites Milford home, displaces family of 4 June 18, 2013Four people were displaced Monday when a lightning strike ignited the roof of a single-family house at 9 South Central St. A fire official said arriving units found fire in the attic that had extended into a bedroom. […]
- Milford Man Arrested on Warrant From Sudbury June 18, 2013
- New to the Market: 3 Tomaso Road June 16, 2013A 3-bedroom, 2-bath house at 3 Tomaso Road is the latest home in Milford to hit the market. […]
- Fight ends in Assault Charges, Tasing for a Marlborough Man June 18, 2013